Wednesday 12 February 2014

[YEAR 2] Show Reel Development - Character Design Development

Character Design/Concept/Developement: 

I decided to give myself a theme for my character as I was just finding it way too hard just to be like CHARACTER BAM! 


Here is a scan of my original character design brainstorm and I ended up picking warriors because I feel like everything that inspires me in my work fits with warriors.

I did a lot research into warrior armor and different cultures/ countries 'warriors' and I ended up picking Viking/Saxon designs.


I ended up looking further into things that inspire me in the 'warrior' genre so I looked into my favourite game League of Legends. I find this game to have such lovely, detailed and strong female characters and I find their designs very unique and inspiring especially the characters who have the Viking, Norse inspired theme to them. After looking through all the female characters I was pretty decided on the fact I want to develop a female character because all there characters were strong but it so many different looks and styles.


My next thoughts were what other females are strong....Wonder Woman, she is a sexy and strong female to look at. This then led me to discover the art of Bruce Timm and he has done many strong females such as Hawk girl and Harley Quinn. His style also has a lovely graphic look to it which I find very inspirational to look at.


After looking at these classically strong ideas of female warriors,  I thought of looking at female characters that contrast this idea of classic idea of what strong woman are. This led me to look at Japanese 'mahou shoujo/magic girls' which I would say fall into the warrior category because their goal is the same...JUSTICE! So I picked Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Rayearth, all the characters here are young girls/women but it doesn't make them any less powerful!


So after all this research I have a rough idea of what character and story I want to create, but I will save that for another post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment